In 1924, the concept of Morris Country Club began.  Nineteen area gentlemen met in the office of F.W. Gebhard and committed themselves to raise $10,467.50 to purchase the 83.7 acre country club site from Samuel and Mary Hoge.  Clare C. Godfrey was the driving force behind the organization, and he became the first Club President. 110 memberships were initially issued for $200 each.  In 1924, ground breaking began and the original nine hole course opened for play on July 4, 1924.  The clubhouse, contracted by Henry Turner, was completed in 1927, at a cost of $11,180.29.

 

At 4:20 a.m. early Saturday, January 30, 1971, club manager Lucille Milton was awakened and discovered flames in the storage area above the kitchen.  She immediately reported the fire.  Within 20 minutes the building was engulfed in flames, and despite the efforts of the Morris Fire Department, by early Saturday morning only two chimneys remained.  On May 1, 1972 ground was broken for a new $115,000 clubhouse with 6,592 sq. ft.  It was completed in November 1972 with a total cost, including furnishings, of $165,000.  Morris Construction Company was the general contractor.

 

In 1976, the Club purchased 32.665 acres from Marguerite Anderson for constructing an additional nine holes.  The new nine was designed and constructed by club members and financed by selling $150,000 of promissory notes to interested members.  Four of the holes were finished in 1977, and the remaining holes were ready for play in 1978.  The new 18-hole course officially opened in 1979.  a remodeling project was completed in 1988, at a cost of approximately $275,000.  Improvements included a new bar, the Terrace Dining Room, a porch, renovation of locker rooms, and relocation of the pro shop.

 

In May 2007 a Banquet Facility opened at MCC and immediately began booking weddings, class reunions, etc.  The facility has enhanced member functions such as holiday functions, tournaments and golf outings.